The global health crisis caused by the coronavirus reminds us that catastrophic events can strike at any time. And while many businesses have slowed down during the pandemic, Mother Nature will not.
With hurricane and typhoon season at our doorstep, here are five things businesses can do now to prepare for windstorms:
- Update emergency response plans. Are the essential contacts current? Consider employment and personnel changes that may have resulted from the pandemic.
- Test your wind and water know-how with a short, interactive quiz available in FM Global’s Hurricane, Typhoon and Cyclone Loss Control Center. The site addresses short-term goals and long-term strategies that can easily be put in place before the next storm strikes.
- Explore the FM Global NatHaz Map to determine if a location is located in a potential flood zone.
- Read “’Tis the Season” to learn how securing roofing and windows can help minimize property damage.
- Complete a free online course in the AFM Training Center. Topics include flood, wind, emergency response and more.
To discover more helpful prevention tips and understand the potential impact of windstorm and other natural disasters on your clients’ businesses, visit AFM's NatHaz Toolkit. Contact your AFM account engineer for location-specific advice.